Saturday, June 11, 2011

Formaldehyde finally listed on FDA list of carcinogens

We've suspected for a long time and it's the primary reason why I wanted to go with organic bedding for Noa's crib set (see my older post here) and now the FDA finally makes it official that all those sheets labeled "wrinkle-free" really are bad for your health--and more so the plywood used to build that new house you may be living in like we are and some hair styling products. Since I can change my sheets and hairspray but I cannot remodel my house from the ground up, I choose to focus on those products. Formaldehyde is what they treat fabric with so it doesn't wrinkle easily. It's why organic cotton sheets look so unkempt when they come out of the dryer no matter how fast you remove them and put them on your bed. But, that's a small price to pay for a better night's sleep, in my opinion, and I'm both happy that the FDA has finally admitted so much and sad that the chemical industry in this country has managed to delay the report for 4 years.

Click here for the article from the New York Times if you wish to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment