Sunday, December 11, 2011

2012: A Banner Year


I'm tossing around a new idea to replace the oft-touted, rarely kept new year's resolution. It would take a global approach to the new year instead of the myopic tendency we have to focus on making changes in the first few months and then tiring of the effort at all for the remainder of the year. Instead of making a number of grand proclamations about what we will do different or better or more fabulous, Ben and I have decided we will give 2012 a theme name and then make all our decisions big and small with this theme in mind. I suggested we might call 2012, The Year of Champagne--then every time we have to make any decisions we would drink a bottle of bubbly and let the booze be our guide. Ben thought maybe that wouldn't be exactly true to the spirit of our new idea especially since it has so much potential for disaster in the first year of this new campaign. Instead, he suggested 2012: The Year of Fun. And I heartily agree! Now we will have 365 days of opportunities to ask ourselves if given the choice between laundry and a day at the park--which would be more fun? And I handily support any new year's theme that will give me not only carte blanche to choose the fun things but which would mean I fail if I do not!

Of course, some days there are bound to be choices between two equally un-fun things, grocery shopping and dusting, for example but having to choose the fun one just might make me see even my chores as opportunities to have fun. Mary Poppins and her spoon full of sugar will be my inspiration on those days. There's no reason something mundane can't be transformed into something exciting and fun.

All-in-all I can't think of a better way to approach another new year than to be conscious of all our decisions, both inconsequential and impactful, to create more moments of pure, unadulterated fun. Let's live the next year as we hope our kids will--blissful, free and having FUN!

3 comments:

  1. I think you have the right idea here, life is short, make it enjoyable and laugh and love as much as you can. We love you guys,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah!! No more cleaning the cat's litter box! Even doing the dishes is more fun.

    ReplyDelete