Thursday, March 21, 2013

1/2 Marathon for charity in Mali!

All 7 followers of this blog have probably already read about and contributed to this cause but I'm mentioning it here just in case your email server has been down, you've been locked out of your Facebook account and generally denied access to any of my other pleas for your help.

So, there's this race. It sounded like a really great idea 4 months ago to run with a friend over the Golden Gate bridge, 13.1 miles along the waterfront in San Francisco. Sure, there are some massive hills, namely that dang bridge, twice.  And so what if the friend I signed up to do this with has since dropped out and decided not to run? I can still do it right?

Well, this is exactly why racing for charity is such a smart idea if you want to actually have the motivation to finish a race! I committed to running for an organization that helps fund programs in Mali for adult literacy--a super cool, I-wouldn't-be-asking-you-for-your-hard-earned-money-if-I-hadn't-totally-vetted-it-myself kind of charity. Look, 100% of the donations go directly to the program in Mali...not to my training.  I told them I could raise $1,000. I made a video. I sent emails. And four people responded. FOUR of you. So, I know there are 3 of you left ... just lurking, waiting to press send on that credit card payment button on their website. But please, put me out of my agony already and just click already!

I ran 10 miles last Monday and it really hurt and I couldn't help worrying about how my knees will handle those punishing last three miles that I haven't prepared them for but on top of that I'm worried I won't reach my goal for this charity. And that will be like a little black cloud over any kind of race day finish I may have. Please help me avoid that buzz kill. I'm training my butt off over here and I really want to be able to say I did it all for something bigger than just crossing another finish line, albeit a beautiful San Francisco postcard perfect one. I know we can do this together. I just need a little help from you! And I know you really want to help so here's just the extra kick in the pants to help you do it too. :)

Oh! And you don't want to miss watching the video I made. It's the product of four agonizing weeks where I did three different versions in running gear and non, with children and without and finally the version I end up using is a newscaster like single shot of me. Just me. Typical right? Well, here it is! Have a look-see: http://www.groundworkopportunities.org/champions/monique/profile/

And truly, thank you. This is going to be a unique and memorable race experience for me. And I am so happy to do it with your help.

No comments:

Post a Comment