Sunday, October 24, 2010

The 2 Week Meltdown

Well, here we are at the two week mark and our cuddly, cute, sleepy newborn has entered that familiar stage of colicky crankiness. It happens to most infants but most parents may be too sleep-deprived to recognize the pattern. At approximately two weeks old, most babies go through a period where they cry for long periods and seem to never sleep. Noa is true to form, good ole girl that she is, and has gone from sleeping approximately 20 hours a day to sleeping about 10. Now, I'm lucky that my mother-in-law is still here with us and I can take a break once in awhile but in another week I'll have to face the music and figure it all out on my own. I imagine much hair pulling and tears on my part, and just when Gi was getting into a rhythm of her own.

Big sister Gi has had a rough go of it from the start. We had to leave her for much longer than we had planned due to the long labor and then my extended hospital stay and she was passed around a bit for those days. Yet, after about 10 days at home with her new sister it was obvious she was doing much better. She gives hugs and kisses to her baby sister all the time, plays with her and sings songs to her too. She still misses her one-on-one mommy time but I keep assuring her that I'll be able to pick her up and spend more time with her once my "big boo-boo" heals and Noa is a little older. Unfortunately, I know all too well that we're looking at at least another 4 months before Noa will be less needy and I have another 4 weeks before any heavy lifting won't leave me sore or worse.

I didn't think it would be this heart-wrenching to watch my first-born adjust to having another child in the house and having to accept my divided attention as good enough. Mommy guilt over here is in full swing.

P.S. Noa's stats at 2 weeks: 9lbs. 14oz. 21 inches. She put on a full pound in one week!

No comments:

Post a Comment