Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Can you pack light with kids?

This question, though I've googled it extensively, keeps me awake at night searching for the answer. My worst travel nightmare is to have a large bag packed, teetering on the scale at the check-in counter and two more to be weighed while we juggle a drooling baby and tantruming toddler--or maybe the sight of us all trying to squeeze into a Parisian taxi. Yes, definitely making it my mission to pair down the luggage this time around.

So, I've set out to find the most space-saving, kid-conscious way of packing for our upcoming trip. Wouldn't you know the internet has some pretty wonderful ideas to help out. The one that caught my eye and that I think I'm going to try this time is "bundle packing". Yes, like the stereotypical image of a woman with a cloth bundle carried upon her head. Who knew it would also be the most favored approach to eliminating wrinkles and creases from over-packed, heavy suitcases of clothing? Check out the description of it here: http://www.onebag.com/pack.html

I know one thing for sure, with our last three nights in France spent in a 4th floor Parisian walk-up apartment, my husband at least, will be thankful for a reduced load! Now, maybe I can persuade him that if I really want to pack light I'll be needing to buy a new Victorinox bag...hmmm...honey? That electric blue one would really bring out the color of his eyes.

And if any of you frequent travelers with children have some tips for us on how to pack everything we need but use basically only one checked bag, please leave me your ideas in a comment here.

3 comments:

  1. roll all your clothes is takes much less room and avoids the wrinkles

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could always ship the bulky stuff ahead of time.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peut etre en emballant "sous vide"?

    ReplyDelete