Tuesday, July 3, 2012

June Garden

I keep thinking the summer has just begun because 1. We are so busy time is flying by. 2. The summer heat has only hit us a few days so far and we've remained unseasonably cool, and 3. The strawberries are caput, done, sending out their runners. But after a week of solid temps over 85 the garden has really shot up elsewhere and I am now the proud owner of six corn stalks that are "as high as an elephant's eye". Seriously, they are too tall. The one on the lower deck is only 8 inches from the top railing on the upper deck. And after being told corn has to be planted in tight rows set specifically so many inches apart I can now officially refute such testimony. Our corn was planted in two round containers much the same size as we use for our tomatoes (which are also giant and turning that perfect shade of cherry red) and the corn is obviously doing fine. What it takes is a ton of water though! Corn, as it turns out, is the perfect thing to plant in the garden where toddlers and preschoolers will be watering the plants. You simply cannot give too much water to corn. My kids do their darndest and I still come up behind them and top those containers off every day and every morning they are dry again. I love how easy it is and I can't wait for those silky strands I see peeking out already to grow just a little more and be ready to pick. So far we have 6 ears growing and I'm sure we'll see more. I have to say, growing your own grain is mighty prideful even if you're only growing enough for one BBQ.


A view from above, looking down to the tomatoes, zucchini, corn and fire pit.




Here are the rest of the photos of our garden and a shot of me and the girls going blueberry picking.  We've been to this blueberry farm twice already and collected 6lbs of berries, not to mention all the ones that end up in our bellies each time we go. See! I told you we've been busy! I hope to be on here more often with even more updates as the summer progresses. We have a trip to the old Sea World, a romantic night away to celebrate our anniversary in South Lake Tahoe, swim lessons for the girls and a camping trip to the redwoods plus a visit to my favorite uncle's house up in the far north of the state coming up this month. Lots to get ready for!

No comments:

Post a Comment