Sunday, September 2, 2012

Letterboxing

I don't think I've mentioned yet how much Gi, Noa and I are enjoying this new hobby of ours called letterboxing but boy it's fun! I think it's safe to say we are addicted. A few of our friends have gotten hooked on it and planted their own letterboxes in the area and after finding them it became an obsession to figure out a cool place to plant a box of our own too.

If you haven't got a clue what I'm talking about, letterboxing is an old British hobby much like the more recent game of geocaching--using a gps to locate a secret treasure box. Only with letterboxing the person who plants the box does little more than carve a unique stamp and place it in a weather proof container along with a note pad and possibly an ink stamp pad too. Then the clues to find the box are written up (some very poetically and purposely difficult to piece together) and posted online on one of two internet sites dedicated to the sport--www.atlasquest.com and www.letterboxing.org

So, today after our jaunt in the woods to find a new box, I decided to take a stab at creating a stamp of my own to plant in our first letterbox. This is how it turned out! Not bad I think for a first timer. And I intend to include a history of the indigenous peoples of our county and their acorn hunting and grinding techniques and then plant it in a box near a local indian grinding stone. See, I'm all about the fun AND the learning opportunity combined.

If you've been letterboxing before I'd love to hear how you like it! Leave a comment and tell us about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment